Thursday, December 5, 2013

Kolby and Santa

Kolby and I had an outdoor mall adventure with my best girlfriend from college. It was a frigid 20-something degree day, and we flopped between an outdoor walk and cozy indoor chats. My friend is always up to all things adventurous when it comes to my Puppy Raising. She is the perfect blend of playing defense against the public violations*, and supporting with lots of questions and praise every time we get together. 
Santa was out of his workshop when we first arrived. Kolby was all tail wags as we walked up to Santa and Kolby did a quick voluntary sit just in time for Santa's outreached hand to pat his cute little head and talk to him. The carousel had no riders at the moment, but the workers turned it on for Kolby to see it spin. He was interested, but not overly impressed. I enjoy the fact that Kolby is very intent on always having good eye contact. Whether that is with the person holding his leash, or strangers talking to him. Good boy, Kolby!
A few weeks ago, Santa also came to visit our Canine Companions class. He collected food for the local food bank and stayed to get his picture taken with all of the puppies and raisers. Unlike Haddie who attacked Santa with Kisses ~ Kolby was very proper and obedient. I love the look on Kolby's face, looking so wise and on his best behavior, and then also his legs drooping over Santa's lap as if to say, "Santa and I? We go way back." 
I am so happy that Kolby is so friendly and was not worried about the big guy with the long white beard and soft red suit. 
*There always seems to be "something" that happens when my friend and I are on a Canine Companions Outing. This time it was an unleashed dog who wandered over to Kolby. Granted, we were in the boutique pet store, but we also have a leash law in our State which is to be withheld in all public situations. 

This little puppy was Adorable, no doubt, but it was also very social and got right into Kolby's face. The owner did not make a move to get her dog away from Mister, so insert my buddy who swiftly, and with great etiquette, got the violator puppy away from Kolby - bent down to the puppies level (aka: sat on the floor) and talked to the owner while holding the puppies collar. 

Then my friend went so far as to help this woman put a pink winter vest on her puppy. My friend is a cat-person by nature, so we both looked at each other and smirked at the clueless owner who was taking full advantage of my friend. HA! 

You are a good sport, J!! Thank you for always putting up with anything that happens while we are on outings. Kolby and I enjoyed the training of patience while we watched and waited (wink). 

No comments:

Post a Comment