Thursday, November 8, 2012

Oh My! with a capital O and M!

So I took Haddie on an errand with me this morning; bright and early after the kid's were dropped off at school. I know socializing in a crowded store adds another layer of importance to Haddie, but some days the quiet of a freshly opened store is just what I need.

Fred Meyer was the place we needed to go, and this store just opened a few months ago in our town. You bet it was a big deal in our area. We are a small town that is on the brink of growing larger. Big box stores are moving in; with a town debate over staying extra small, or allowing growth.

To me - I'm just glad not to drive so far to get some normal errands accomplished!

We were greeted to the cuteness of holiday decor and we took full advantage of seeing everything. Haddie approved of Santa, and especially liked the Reindeers. We meandered through all the aisles, stopping at the Christmas Decor Toys. In a wonderful Sit-Stay, I brought down a dancing-singing-chicken to Haddie's level. She was adorable!!

So adorable that a man walking passed the aisle stopped and came towards us exclaiming, "Oh - that is so cute!", looking at Haddie, not the dancing-singing-chicken. I thought so too, her expressions are the best. Her sweet brown eyes melt everyone.

We continued on our adventure into the toy section, and then the next group of items were the bikes. Haddie went crazy. She was sniffing wildly towards the bikes. I thought perhaps the smell of the rubber (even I could smell it) peaked her interest. But something was just a little different than the traditional, "Mmmm, what's that smell" attitude about Haddie.

She was pacing and smelling and tracking something. I let her. It was interesting. Not sure if a CCI Trainer would have agreed of my choice, but whatever - there was no stopping her.

After watching her for a few, I gave the Sit command, and she obeyed. When ... we ... heard ... a ... squeak. From under the platform of bikes came the repeated noise of a teeny tiny mouse.

Oh My!!

Okay, now I was freaked out and grossed out, yet fascinated that Haddie picked up on it from two aisles away and persuaded me to follow her nose to investigate.

The noise stopped. I gave Haddie a Release and let her continue her sniff. Then, I ordered her to Sit and we listened. Squeak!!

Okay, girl, we are outta here!! Well done.

Made me wonder how many teeny tiny mice are all over any mega store.

Oh My! with a capital O and M!

2 comments:

  1. Elijah - we are, not sure how that worked out. In fact, a large group from our chapter turn-in Feb. Since this will be our first experience, kinda nice to have lots of our friends joining us for support. Thinking about you and Hobart!

    ReplyDelete