Sunday, March 17, 2013

A Ballad for Haddie

My girl finished an assignment in her English class today. It was required that student's write a Ballad about an adventure in their life. The format was to be 12 stanzas and rhyming in an A-B-A-B format. Regardless of what the teacher may say, I love the final product that my girl wrote about Haddie because it is all truth (yes, even the part about the folk song). What a great Ballad of a wonderful memory. Nice work, Honey.

HADDIE 


The day I got Haddie it was sunny
I jumped in the car excited
Expecting my puppy to be so funny
When I finally held her I was delighted
 
Everyday was a new task
Going to new places and learning new things
Haddie would pick up everything I taught her so fast
Especially when playing fetch and bring
 
It felt like it had just begun
The last month was so hard
I couldn't believe we were almost done
Filling out the final report card
 
The day of that final class
They shared what I should be expecting
I knew it was going to be our last
And I needed to start disconnecting
 
The drive to Cali was so long
I was beginning to doubt
As my dad started to sing his famous folk song
Would I ever get out?
 
The jelly belly place looked so sweet
We stopped for the final outing
To take a tour of the colorful treats
Haddie enjoyed her Jelly Bean scouting
 
Thinking of our day ahead
I wanted my pup to be spoiled
I let Haddie jump on the bed
I knew her training would not be foiled
 
Haddie looked best dressed
I couldn't help but smile
As she wore her matriculation vest
I realized it had all been worthwhile
 
In the dog park I captured through my lens
As she ran lightning speed
Haddie making new college friends
12 dogs make quite the stampede
 
At the turn in ceremony
I was among the crowd
Listening to the graduates share their testimony
I could tell we were very proud
 
 It was the hardest thing I had to do
Through all my tears
Saying goodbye made me feel so blue
But I knew I had to wish Haddie good cheers
  
I trained Haddie for Canine Companions for Independence
I knew with my training she could succeed
One day a person could use her dependence
For her future holds an amazing life to lead

No comments:

Post a Comment